AS Hoolekandeteenused (welfare services) is a state-owned enterprise which provides social welfare services to adults with special needs. The enterprise was established in 2007. The organisation has many different little units.
The goal of the organisation is that the clients have an active and positive day no matter of their age, gender or disability. It provides opportunities for the clients to do activities like walking, games, dancing, singing, art and handicraft. The personnel monitors clients´ health and development, provides medical care, teaches them basic skills and encourages every person to be as independent as they can.
The staff number is about 55 and has received special training, is well experienced and many have worked for more than 10 years.
ESC would be an enriching learning opportunity for both the volunteer, staff and the clients. Each volunteer brings new energy, ideas, and experience with him/her. It’s a lesson in different languages, cultures and working habits. Volunteers tend to make the clients happier.
Our lovely Näituse Home is located in the city centre of Viljandi. We have a large garden in which there are two one-storey houses where 20 people who require 24-hour support reside. They are assisted and supported by seven Personal Assistants and a member of catering staff. In each house there is an open-plan living room and kitchen and nine bedrooms.
In the garden, there is a greenhouse where we grow tomatoes and cucumbers every year. There are also berry bushes and raised garden beds for flowers and herbs. In 2016, the Viljandi city government recognised us as one of the homes decorated with the most beautiful flowers in the ‘Flowers of the town’ competition. As we are located in the middle of town, people admire and compliment our beautiful flowers every summer.
Viljandi is a kind of capital of culture in Estonia – there is Viljandi Culture Academy that provides higher education in Estonian national culture, dance and music and is a very important part of the community. The medieval capital of Estonia, Tallinn, is about 185 km from Viljandi (2,5 h by public transportation – bus or train).
Benefits for the volunteer
- Experience in communicating and working with people with special needs (physical, mental)
- Experience in team-work (as a team member of the staff, but also settings his/her own goals and showing initiative)
- Experience as a group leader for the clients (recreational activities)
Work tasks and proposed activities
- Doing hand activities with the clients (coloring, cutting, drawing, making some crafts)
- Playing ballgames and other games (board games, cards, puzzles, memos etc)
- Doing morning gymnastic with clients, walking with them outside
- Helping to get dressed
- Accompanying clients to work and back; to the field trips and events
- Decorating the houses for holidays
- Teaching English to some clients
Requirements for the volunteer
- Willing and wanting to work with people with special needs
- Friendly and warm-hearted
- Motivated to be with the clients – talk, play, be around them
- Willing to learn Estonian as it’s very important to understand the basic needs of the clients
If the volunteer has some kind of special skills (playing some instrument, singing etc), it can be uses in everyday life (they just love singing lessons and dancing).
To apply fill in the application form in the left column and send it to [email protected]
NB! We are a bit flexible regarding the project dates which means we can change the service dates according to the needs of volunteer.