Europe has been struggling with several major issues in recent years, including the increased displacement of people, the rise of xenophobia and intolerance in society as well as a lack of possibilities and motivation of youth to participate. One of the aspects which provoke such negative phenomena is populism – a very popular way of communication and dealing with social issues among politicians and public leaders nowadays.
After a longstanding experience in the youth sector, trying to empower and train young people, providing them with skills and knowedge to assure their active participation in society, through promotion of respect of human and minority rights, democracy and intercultural understanding, 4 youth networks – Alliance, YEN, VYRE and Phiren Amenca – have gathered together in Durres, Albania during YEN’s General Assembly and developed a common resolution, addressing the current situation in Europe, namely the rise of the far right, populism and xenophobia.
Aim and objectives
The aim of the study session is to explore how youth workers can challenge xenophobic attitudes and raise awareness about the role of populism in forming them.
The study session has the following objectives:
- To increase awareness about systemic and systematic discrimination against national, ethnic, racial, religious and cultural minorities.
- To raise awareness about populism as the main mechanism behind xenophobia.
- To develop critical thinking skills as possible response to populism.
- To develop competences in human rights education as a tool which can be used in youth work to address issues of xenophobia.
- To create the guidelines on tackling the issue of xenophobic-based discrimination in international youth projects.
- To develop skills on how to implement an inclusive approach in daily activities with young people and how to work with those youngsters facing discrimination,
The main expected outcome of the Study Session will be decreasing different kinds of discrimination in international youth projects.
Majutus-, toitlustus- ja reisikulud on projektis osalejatele kaetud.