Looking for a volunteer for ICJA /ICYE Office in Berlin.
- PLANNED STARTING DATE. 01.04.2023 – 31.03.2024
- DURATION: 12 Months
- Application Deadline: January 4th 2023
- Contact person in the host organisation for ESC administration/ESC placement: Joanna Bojanowska
- Email: email@example.com
- Name and complete address of the project placement: ICJA Freiwilligenaustausch weltweit e.V. (International volunteer service organization)
- Activity: ICJA office (Incoming Department)
- Location: Stralauer Alle 20 E, 10245 Berlin https://www.icja.de/
Activities of the project organisation: (aims, objectives, actions)
ICJA is a non–profit organization that sends German volunteers, 18+ years old, abroad for one year. There are over 40 countries in ICJA’s network, enabling a wide variety of opportunities for German volunteers; In turn, ICJA organizes volunteer placements for international volunteers and refugees stays in Germany. ICJA’s aim is to facilitate respectful and open interactions between people from different cultures and religious backgrounds. ICJA understands its exchange program as an educational opportunity. Central to ICJA’s concept are contact, cooperation and a fruitful exchange between volunteers coming from all over the world. ICJA e.V. is an active member of the ICYE Federation (International Cultural Youth Exchange). There are around 35 people working in the office in Berlin. The office also coordinates the regional groups all over Germany where mainly the returnees are active.
Description of the community the project is situated in
The ICJA office is located in the Friedrichshain–Kreuzberg district in the eastern central part of Berlin. This area is characterized by its diverse artistic style, rich history and nightlife. The districts are separated by the Spree river, which is one of the great attractions of the city. It is a very active, lively and intercultural place to live with the proportion of people with a migration background being over 40%.
Description of the tasks of the volunteer in the project
As a volunteer organization, we are receiving and sending volunteers from all over the World and sending out volunteers in 34 different countries. The volunteer will be working in the incoming department.The main task of the volunteer will be:
- Assisting with the administrative preparation and implementation of international volunteers. Her/His tasks will be as follows (working language is in German and English);
- Support with administrative tasks (applications, documents, contracts, working with lists);
- Communication with projects and host families (working language is in in German);
- Answering of initial questions about application modalities and program specifications within the different formats of exchange program – via Email and phone;
- Helping by organisation and preparing of seminars. If wished: Support at the seminar during the seminar;
- Reading, answering and archiving reports of the volunteers throughout the exchange year, administration of participation lists of participation documents;
- Opportunity to implement own project ideas. For example: own ideas in the area of social media are very welcome The volunteer gets an insight into documentation and organizational tasks for all programs of ICJA.
- Please keep in mind that the tasks are rather administrative (90%) and less pedagogical (10%).
Required skills and interests of the volunteer:
- very good knowledge of German (B2/C1) and English (B1/B2) is mandatory.
- Interest and fun in administrative tasks as well as in transcultural topics and global learning
- be open–minded and motivated
- be open to work in a responsible and independent way
- ability to work in a team
- willing to bring in own skills and interests
- knowledge of Office Programs (especially Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Interest in International Youth Exchange and Voluntary Service
- Interest in contributing your own skills etc.
Working hours, working time:
- The weekly working hours will be 30–35 hours; two days off a week
- Training and support for the volunteer There is a mentor who is responsible for answering any questions and supervising the work of the volunteer, and who speaks English.
- The volunteer can take part in the regular capacity training for staff members.
The project has been a host project for the European Voluntary Service for several years now (as a hosting, sending, and coordinating ESC organization).
The volunteer will always have another person who will support them with their tasks. ICJA has a large network to other (ESC) volunteers.
Pocket Money: The volunteer will receive 5 Euro/day as pocket money in monthly payments.
Public Transport: The volunteer will be reimbursed for the costs of a monthly public transport ticket (58 €/month).
Description of the accommodation: Because of the housing shortage in Berlin, it is very difficult for us to find a room for the volunteer. For this reason, it is very important that you are flexible about the accommodation: The volunteer is going to live in a host family or in a shared apartment in Berlin. A commute to work that takes up to 60 minutes is normal in Berlin.
How will the food arrangement be? The volunteer will receive provisions (amounting to 288 Euro/month).
International travel costs: The volunteer will receive a financial contribution to his*her travel costs from his*her place of origin to Germany and back to the home destination. The amount depends on the distance travelled. For travel distances between 500 km and 1999 km: 275 Euro, between 2000 km and 2999 km: 360 Euro etc.
Insurance: The volunteer will receive health insurance, third party liability insurance as well as general accident insurance via the group insurance of the European Commission (free of charge for the volunteer).
Good knowledge of German (B2/C1) and English (B1/B2) will be needed.
The projects starts in April 2023 and the application deadline is 04.01.23.