Concordia regional office, located in Rennes, Bretagne, is looking for 1 volunteer from Septeebr 2022 to July 2023, for a project “Environmental and intercultural awareness”.This ESC project takes place in Cancale, on the seaside and close to the Le Mont Saint Michel. The main activity of the volunteer will be to work with children who come to the Sea Center.
Concordia is a French national non- governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1950 by English, German and French youngsters. Their aim was to enhance the values of tolerance and peace after the 2nd world war by organizing international workcamps of young volunteers. The main objectives of Concordia are the following:
- Education in helping young people to grow up by acquisition of collective life.
- Culture in favoring the youth exchanges on an international level, always emphasizing the values of peace, friendship and mutual respect.
- Social in taking part in concrete actions of solidarity, as well as supporting a civic attitude
- Social economy in contributing to realization of local development, in favor of the environment, patrimony, tourism and socio-educational animation.
You can visit our website to know more about the organization: https://www.concordia.fr/eng.
We develop projects on topics that are very important to us. One of these topics is environmental education and awareness. We also run activities on promotion of volunteering, international workcamps and training courses. We work on those projects in pair and give the possibility to young volunteers to develop the projects with our partner. It means that the volunteers work together and have a lot of freedom of what to suggest and to build the activities they want to build. As we believe that doing an ESC also means to be involved in the activities of the association, we ask the volunteers to take part in the local events and activities that Concordia and the area organize (opening days of Concordia, special associative days or weekends organized by other volunteers…). Also, in the city, there are many non- governmental organizations which we are working with, so you can be proposed to help them in organizing or participating in their events. In July and August the volunteer could participate in the work camps with Concordia as a co-leader or leader.
Tasks and activities
The main task of the volunteer is to work with children who come to the Sea Center, each week, for a scholarship.
In particular the volunteer will, with the teaching team:
- Animation’s activities
- Collaborate in the work of the teaching team by bringing an intercultural dimension, new approaches and teaching methods (reception of groups via a treasure hunt for example).
- Get involved in the life of the sea class center and bring an outside perspective (improvement of exteriors and/or gathering spaces, assistance with the management/maintenance of equipment for boat trips)
- Propose activity times in connection with the marine environment or according to interests of volunteers
- Intercultural promotion through participation in activities with groups and presentation of one’s country to children welcomed (culinary proposals, presentation of music, sports, games from the volunteer’s country of origin)
- Environmental pedagogy
- Development of tools to promote good environmental practices for children hosted at the center
- Improving kid’s experience
- Participation in the creation of visual aids for the presence of groups (photo report, videos) to enhance their experience.
- Participate in the writing of articles for the life of the center
- Others tasks
- Promotion of the CES with the various institutions, regrouping times and/or with the territorial partners
- Demonstrate initiative to set up, according to the appetites of the volunteers, a personal project in connection with the place of the center or with the children welcomed.
During the activities proposed to the pupils, they will be able to assist the teachers or carry out the activity under their responsibility. There is a weekly meeting during which we decide with the volunteers which activities they will participate in or what activities they will offer during the week. The detailed activities will be proposed by the volunteer according to his/her skills and interests and with the support of the pedagogical team. The volunteer will be at the sea center from 8am to 2pm or from 2pm to 8 am. Once a week, volunteers will organize evening activities until 9:30 pm. Schedules are flexible. She/he will be allowed to take 2 days off per month (when she/he wants regarding the activity schedule).
Profile of the participant
- Be between 18 and 30 years old
- Fully COVID-19 vaccinated (2 doses)
- Basics knowledge in French or motivation to learn french
- Motivation to work with kids
- Experiences in the field will be a plus
- Cultural, artistic or sport skills are more than welcome
- Be flexible, autonomous and open to meet/live with new people, to think outside of the box
- Be willing to develop a personal project
- Accommodation: in one room in the sea center
- Food: the volunteer will be allowed to eat in the canteen for lunch and dinner on weekdays, on weekends he will have access to a supermarket card for his own meals
- Health Insurance: by Cigna
- Pocket Money for personal use: 6€ per day (We usually give the money for a month in the beginning of every month, but it can be managed according to your wishes)
To apply fill in this form and send to email address email@example.com before the 5th of April 2022