The mission of the Calvary Fund is restoration of Calvary in Banská Štiavnica – sacral complex of churches and chapels– which became recently seriously endangered. Few years ago it was on the list of 100 the most endangered monuments in the world. Together with its reconstruction we want to make it again place for cultural, religious and touristic activities.
We were established in 2008 and except professional workers and restorators, the involment of volunteers is a big part of our mission. Thanks to EVS volunteers we run small exhibition in one of the churches and we, sometimes also with help of other volunteers, maintain the site area. We are also running a youth hostel in the town and scout campsite in surrounding mountains.
The main EVS activities are:
- Service in the exhibition about the history and present of the Calvary in the Lower Church
– the volunteer’s job is very similar to that of a regular info centre: the volunteer opens up individual chapels and churches, provides information to visitors, ensures the cleanliness of the premises, sells souvenirs and tourist literature, and keeps daily records of visits and donations.
2. Assistance in organizing volunteer brigades
– As there are a group of corporate volunteers or students coming to help the restoration, volunteers are very much needed in the implementation of such brigades, which often involve 20 to 70 other volunteers at the same time.
- Help with regular Calvary maintenance
– The Calvary area is very large and consists of up to 23 sacral buildings, requiring regular maintenance. Volunteers, alongside our employees, help to mow and cleaning the grounds, cleaning churches and chapels, remove snow during winter, moving materials and many other works.
- Activities of Scout camp in Štiavnické vrchy
– this scout camp began to write its history of Scout camps before the 2nd. World War and its activity were recently restored thanks to the Baden-Powell Foundation. Today, a group of scouts visit it not only from Slovakia but also from other European countries. The help of volunteers is needed especially before the summer camp season begins, such as mowing and raking, cleaning of the rafting woods, building wooden camping buildings and the like.
- Community events and activities around the Scout House
The Scout House is a hostel where volunteers are also accommodated. During the year, several community events such as meeting of young local families, apple harvesting and others, including volunteers, take place in its premises. In addition, they also help in working on the garden, which is the place for these community events.
- Personal project and other activities
The intent of the program is to get as much skill as possible, so we are trying to give our volunteers space for their own ideas for self-realization. It depends only on the assumptions and initiative of the volunteers themselves, how their personal project may look.
In addition, other occasional activities are part of the project, depending on the skills of the volunteers: native language teaching; assisting in local kindergardens, help with creating a website or promotional materials; quides of the calvary visitors in foreing language; restoration workshops of old furniture; text translations; digitalizing old scout photographs; photo documentation, of local architectural features, etc.
Kandideerimiseks loe rohkem SIIT!
Soovi korral saada enda CV ja motivatsioonikiri firstname.lastname@example.org ja email@example.com.
Projekt on rahastatud Euroopa Solidaarsuskorpuse poolt.