SHORT DESCRIPTION: KokPayom is a strong Muslim fishermen community from Satun province, Southern Thailand. Over 30 families of the village gathered to protect the bio diversity of their mangrove forest for over 15 years and to be responsible for the social life of the village. They created an alternative school named KlongTohLem and now registered as a foundation. With DaLaa, we support them since 2009 by sending short and long term volunteers. This yearly workcamp during school holidays will be focus on mangrove forest management but you will be also joining renovation work, activities with kids and will be able to share the energy of the community.
AIMS of the PROJECT
– To preserve the mangrove forest and the environment
– To support and be part of Kok Payom learning community (to preserve their community values and life style)
– To build a good relationship between volunteers and local people
– To learn about local cultures and wisdom
WORK AND ACTIVITIES
– Revitalizing some area of the mangrove forest by pruning the small trees branches and allowing them enough place to grow.
– Renovating/adjusting surrounding at KlongTohLem Academy and the Islamic Education Center of the village
– Organizing activities with kids especially on Sundays at KlongTohLem Academy
– Learning the local life of this fisherman’s village, Kok Payom
Other activities, possibly if time allows, cultivating seedlings in the nursery, planting trees, agriculture visiting villagers’ homes, helping on village matters, etc.
**Please bear in mind that the proposed activities above are something that we and the host project have agreed on about 6 months before the camp takes place. We will try to keep the plan fit but it may have some changes. We will send you an update about 1 month before the camp begins.
REQUIREMENTS: The volunteers should be ready to stay in a remote area, to adapt to the local conditions with only basic facilities.Very few local people are able to speak in English. Volunteers should be able to handle spontaneous working environment and constant changes in the plans. The mentality and way of thinking is very different from the western world.There will have often activities with the children. To have responsibility for you, the kids and full involvement in community matters is a must. For the 2 weeks, you will be leaded by a DaLaa member/staff who will help to coordinate the project.
The villagers of KokPayom are Muslim so there must be no pork nor alcohol products brought to the village.
FOOD and ACCOMMODATION: Volunteers will sleepat the village meeting place (also the pier) on the river side. There is a hut with 3 rooms and a big meeting area with a roof where we can put more tents. There will be simple mats, pillow and mosquito net. You will need to bring your sleeping bag and a small mattress if you want to be more comfortable. There are basic toilets, showers and a kitchen. The villagers will help the volunteers to cook. Local people eat rice (or noodles) 3 times a day with side dishes like curries, omelettes, local leaves and vegetables. Volunteers will be welcome to cook their own food using the ingredients available there. (No oven, only a gas and woks or pans).
HOST FAMILY: 1 or 2 night(s), volunteers will be offered an opportunity to stay over with the locals at their houses. The schedule and details will be explained during the work camp.
See projekt ei olnud päris sinu jaoks? Veel projekte leiad andmebaasist: https://goo.gl/DzqcfY
- 26.03.2018 - 08.04.2018
- Kok Payom, Tai
- Projekti kood:
- 95€ osalustasu ja 25€ ühekordne liikmemaks. Majutus ja toitlustus on kaetud, transpordi eest tuleb ise tasuda. Kohapeal küsib korraldaja lisaks 8000 THB osalustasu